Institute of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
The Institute of Gastroenterology and Hepatology Iasi represents an elite unit in which thousands of patients benefit from the high quality services and more than 2000 students, fellows and PhD students receive medical education to the highest standards. The Institute of Gastroenterology and Hepatology was founded in 2002 by Professor Carol Stanciu, and since then it successfully serves patients from all over the Romania, being the only tertiary center in the Moldova Region.
The Institute of Gastroenterology and Hepatology has two Clinics with 125 beds, a department of Intensive care, a department of Diagnostic and Interventional Endoscopy and Integrated Outpatient Clinic. In these departments are working 29 physicians and 65 fellows. Our physicians are members in national and international board gastroenterology societies, and they were involved in local and international guidelines development.
All nine dimensions of the quality in medical practice are attributes of our referral center: professionalism, competence, accessibility, effectiveness, efficiency, interpersonal relations, continuity, safety, conform, availability.
In our center, Professor Carol Stanciu introduced into clinical practice modern methods of diagnosis and endocscopic treatment: ERCP, dilation of esophageal stenosis, dilation of achalasia, enteroscopy, endoscopic gastrostomy, videocapsule examination, most of them national premiere.
Departament of General Gastroenterology
- more than 6.000 patients/year admitted in our inpatient and outpatients clinics;
- viral C, B, B+D referral center in which more than 2500 patients received interferon-free treatment for viral hepatitis C;
- regional center for hepatitis C screening program;
- the center provides advanced treatment for hepatocellular carcinoma.
Department of Interventional Endoscopy
- the first 24 hours service of endoscopy in Romania since 1996;
- esophageal dilations for stenosis, achalasia, esophageal stenting, endoscopic, endoscopic vacuum-assisted closure esophageal perforation treatment
- esophageal PH impedance monitoring, esophageal and rectal manometry
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography; endoscopic biliary lithotripsy, endoscopic biliary tract dilation and stenting, complex percutaneous rendezvous techniques;
- esophageal varices banding
- endoscopic treatment of lower gastrointestinal hemorrhage
Liver transplant Regional Center
Liver transplant offers patients with end-stage liver disease a second chance at life. In the Institute of Gastroenterology and Hepatology Iasi there are admitted annually more than 3.000 cirrhotic patients from the Eastern part of Romania, most of them with advanced liver disease, in need for a liver transplant. The Institute of Gastroenterology and Hepatology is part of the new Regional Liver Transplant Center inaugurated with the support of professor Irinel Popescu in May 2016. Professor Cristian Lupascu is the coordinator of the liver transplant center.
The first liver transplant in Iasi was performed in June 2016 in collaboration with the surgical team, led by Professor Irinel Popescu. Until now, 15 patients received a liver transplant in our center, with one-year survival rate of 86.6%, our transplant results being in line with national standards.Our liver transplant program delivers strong multidisciplinary care with highly experienced physicians and expertise in a wide range of specialties.
The Institute of Gastroenterology and Hepatology Iasi offers expertise in treating adult patients with liver diseases including liver failure requiring liver transplantation, and provides a comprehensive multi-disciplinary approach for treatment of complex hepatobiliary disorders, such as liver masses, viral hepatitis, bile duct and gall bladder abnormalities, fatty liver disease, and portal hypertension.
Our experts in liver disease and liver surgery work closely together to manage any type of liver disease, whether you require surgery, cancer care or other treatment.
Our team includes:
- Gastroenterologists led by Professor AncaTrifan, MD, PhD, FEBGH, FRCP. Our gastroenterologist (Irina Girleanu, Ana Maria Singeap, Catalin Sfarti) are trained in hepatology and interventional endoscopy and they manage patients’ liver failure before transplantation and follow-up the patients after liver transplant regarding immunosuppression, prevention of viral B hepatitis reactivation and managing liver transplant complications.
- Surgeons with specialized expertise in hepatobiliary (liver and bile duct) surgery and liver transplant are led by Professor Cristian Lupascu.
- Doctor Oana Lovin and Mihaela Blaj are leading a dedicated anesthesia team trained to manage complex surgeries, minimize complications and reduce requirements for blood transfusions.
- The interventional radiologists help accurately diagnose and manage liver disease and liver cancer progression before transplant
- We also collaborate with other medical specialist to make sure we address all your healthcare needs
Institute of Gastroenterology and Hepatology- Research Studies
Research is an important component of the Institute of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, where we are committed to cutting-edge studies that will benefit today's patient and patients of the future. The Liver Transplant team has active research studies in a variety of areas, including early detection of liver cancer, thrombotic complications in cirrhotic patients, acute on chronic liver failure studies, protocols for patients with Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C infection both before and after liver transplant, and a protocols for primary and secondary prevention of variceal bleeding.
The main publications of our department:
Outcomes after symptomatic capsule retention in suspected small bowel obstruction. Singeap AM, Trifan A, Cojocariu C, Sfarti C, Stanciu C. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011 Oct;
Checkmate to liver biopsy in chronic hepatitis C? Trifan A, Stanciu C. World J Gastroenterol. 2012 Oct 21;18(39):5514-20.
Update on adrenal insufficiency in patients with liver cirrhosis. Trifan A, Chiriac S, Stanciu C. World J Gastroenterol. 2013 Jan 28
Capsule endoscopy in acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding: goodbye to nasogastric tube aspiration? Stanciu C, Trifan A, Cojocariu C. Endoscopy. 2013 Sep;45(9):775
Impact of Clostridium difficile infection on inflammatory bowel disease outcome: a review. Trifan A, Stanciu C, Stoica O, Girleanu I, Cojocariu C. World J Gastroenterol. 2014 Sep 7
Natural course of nonmalignant partial portal vein thrombosis in cirrhotic patients. Girleanu I, Stanciu C, Cojocariu C, Boiculese L, Singeap AM, Trifan A. Saudi J Gastroenterol. 2014 Sep-Oct;
Proton pump inhibitors therapy and risk of Clostridium difficile infection: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Trifan A, Stanciu C, Girleanu I, et al. World J Gastroenterol. 2017 Sep 21
Clostridium difficile infection in hospitalized octogenarian patients. Trifan A, Girleanu I, Stanciu C, et al Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2018 Feb;
Portal vein thrombosis in cirrhotic patients - it is always the small pieces that make the big picture. Gîrleanu I, Trifan A, Stanciu C, Sfarti C. World J Gastroenterol. 2018 Oct 21;
Efficacy and safety of alisporivir for the treatment of hepatitis C infection. Stanciu C, Trifan A, Muzica C, Sfarti C. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2019 Mar;20(4):379-384
Our comprehensive multidisciplinary clinics and extensive clinical research programs assure our patients have access to the newest medications and technologies.Back